Pediatric Acupoint Therapy is an integrative approach to wellness for babies, children, and teens, utilizing a range of needle and needle-free treatments.
Children of all ages have an innate wisdom and ability to heal. We believe in supporting your child as the unique person they are, incorporating their likes, dislikes, learning style, identity, and creativity into the healing process, using approaches that support both your child's and your family's wellness goals. By using integrative medicine to support a child's health when they are young, we can work together to lay the groundwork for a healthier, happier future. Pediatric care is the ultimate in preventative medicine!
How Pediatric Acupoint Therapy can help your child:
- Lessen hyperactivity, anxiety, behavioral outbursts, and poor sleep: calm the nervous system to promote more regulated behavior, more stable emotions, improved focus, and more consistent sleep
- Enhance digestion and appetite: reduce belly aches and pains, reduce nausea, vomiting, heartburn, and gas, promote regular bowel movements, support "picky eaters"
- Support healthy skin: reduce rashes, eczema, hives, acne, and other skin issues
- Manage asthma and allergies: support healthy breathing, reduce wheezing and coughing, prevent seasonal allergy symptoms, improve immune system function, reduce inflammation
- Treat colds, sinus issues, and ear infections: reduce sinus and chest congestion, reduce wheezing and coughing, reduce ear pain and inflammation, support the immune system to prevent future illnesses
- Improve headache symptoms: reduce the severity, frequency, and intensity of tension headaches and migraines
- Relieve body aches, pain, and tension: break up stagnant muscle and connective tissues to help reduce discomfort and promote healing
- Promote athletic performance recovery: reduce aches and pains, increase blood circulation and tissue oxygenation, promote recovery from training sessions or sports injuries - great for young athletes!
- Support maintenance care and prevention: provide support to children living with chronic or complex health concerns, enhance general wellness and help prevent the aggravation of old symptoms and the development of new symptoms
How Pediatric Acupoint Therapy for your child can help you:
- You will have the opportunity to speak one-on-one about your concerns, hopes, and goals for your child's health in a compassionate, professional environment. No rushing, no interruption.
- You will experience peace of mind of knowing your child is being supported in an affirming and caring environment that respects and nurtures their unique personality, development, and healing process.
- You will learn diet, lifestyle, and hands-on approaches to help support your child daily at home, empowering you with new knowledge and confidence.
- Your child's health and wellbeing effects your own - and vice versa. You will receive encouragement and guidance to support your own wellness as an important part of supporting your child.
What is Acupoint Therapy?
Acupoint Therapy is a catch-all term that refers to various ways of therapeutically stimulating the acupoints, or acupuncture points, on the body. We use this term for our pediatric appointments because we use so many approaches to work with children! Acupuncture is just one type of acupoint therapy; many kids and teens do very well with acupuncture needles, and become very relaxed during treatment. Another method is Shonishin, needle-free Japanese pediatric acupuncture. Rather than using insertive needles, Shonishin utilizes small, smooth metal tools to gently stimulate the surface of the skin. Kids love to look at and play with the Shonishin tools during treatment. We also use other needle-free methods, such as acupressure, laser therapy, tuning forks, magnets, tui na massage, cupping therapy, or energy healing like Reiki.
In addition to hands-on therapies, we may also make recommendations about other integrative approaches to wellness, including the use of essential oils, food therapy, bedtime routines, and herbal medicines or supplements.
What happens in a Pediatric Acupoint Therapy appointment?
New patient appointments are 90 minutes long, allowing ample time to discuss concerns and goals with your child and with you. Depending on the child's age, communication abilities, and preferences, we may also want some time to talk to them one-on-one about what they are experiencing. Then, they receive a treatment, using whatever modalities are the best fit. Family members or other caregivers may choose to stay in the room during the treatment, or not, depending on everyone's comfort level. We have a comfortable waiting room for any family members that leave the room during the treatment! Follow-up appointments are typically 60 or 30 minutes, depending on your child's situation and needs.
How old does a child have to be to receive acupuncture?
Children of any age can be treated with acupuncture! In China, it is very common for infants, babies, and toddlers to receive needles with a family member holding them on their lap. While this doesn't happen has often here in the U.S., it is very possible! If you or your child do not want needles for the treatment, no problem - we have many other needle-free tools in our toolbox.
My child can't sit still for 5 minutes, how is she supposed to sit still for 30 minutes with needles in?
Short answer: She won't have to!
Long answer: If needles are used, children's treatments are often shorter, use fewer needles than adult treatments, and we choose points that are comfortable even if your child is wiggling around! With young children, needles may only stay in for 5-10 minutes, and these treatments often include play - sometimes kids don't even realize the treatment has started! Older children, tweens, and teens often do well with needling and are able to rest comfortably for longer periods of time. Depending on the age of your child, we may encourage you to hold them to provide comfort and calm during the treatment.
How often does my child need to come in for treatment?
This depends on your and your child's concerns, their health and symptoms, how they respond to treatment, and what lifestyle and dietary support the child has at home. Just like adult treatment plans, we recommend more sessions more frequently at the start of a treatment plan, gradually reducing the frequency as symptoms improve.
Meet our Pediatric Acupoint Therapy team:
Kim loves working with children of all ages, from infants to teens. She has treated a wide range of concerns, such as asthma and allergies, eczema, common childhood illnesses, sleep and digestive problems, behavioral and sensory integration issues, pediatric cancers, congenital diseases, anxiety, menstrual cycle irregularity, and headaches. Kim has completed advanced study in pediatric integrative health, Shonishin (Japanese pediatric acupuncture), and pediatric self-hypnosis. Although Kim loves the power of the acupuncture needle, she specializes in unique needle-free approaches that are gentle and effective. Click to learn more about Kim.
Laconia loves working with teens ages 14-18, supporting them with a wide range of physical and emotional concerns. She has ample experience treating anxiety, depression, menstrual cycle irregularity, body aches and pains, headaches, and sleeping issues in teenagers with acupuncture, herbal medicine, tui na massage, and cupping therapy. Click to learn more about Laconia.
Are you ready to see how Acupoint Therapy can support your child's health and wellbeing?
For children ages 0-13, please book a Pediatric Acupoint Therapy appointment with Kim.
For teens ages 14-18, please book a regular Acupuncture Appointment with either Kim or Laconia.
Have questions about our pediatric services?
Send us a note! We will respond within two business days.